Long Beach Reflections
I'm sitting in the Long Beach airport to head back to DC, and I wanted to capture a few reflections from my conversations and experiences with the group life leaders gathering this weekend:
- I'm as convinced as I've ever been that groups are the best environment for community, life change, discipleship, and leadership development to happen.
- Creativity is hard work; I need to carve out time in my schedule to let that happen.
- My greatest priority as a leader is personal spiritual growth. I want to explore the idea of getting a spiritual director.
- The growth of my leaders at NCC and the growth of the congregation at NCC requires me to lead at a higher level. I want to explore the idea of getting a coach.
- I'm looking forward to reading Bill Search's book Simple Small Groups. It's coming out in September.
- The Willow Group Life Conference is going to be awesome this year! Especially Main Session 2. :)
- I want to explore the possibility of creating a regional network of small group pastors to exchange ideas, encourage one another.
- I'm really intrigued by the idea of family discipleship. How can we equip and resource families to disciple their kids? I met a couple people this weekend who are passionate about that, as well, and I'd love to be involved in developing resources for that.
- Films are a great way to spark spiritual conversations. Let's stop telling silly, predictable stories and dive into messy reality. I want to explore DVD curriculum that is fresh and relevant.
- I want to connect more with leaders who stretch me, challenge me, frustrate me, disagree with me, and inspire me.
- Leaving Long Beach is dumb. It's so warm here!